Thursday, December 8, 2011

My First Refurbishing Adventure!

So a while back I bought this dresser from a garage sale.  My intention was to redo it and then hopefully sell it.  That seller ended up being my sister-in-law and brother!  It took me like 2 months to finally get this project finished (between going out of town, Aiven's surgery, and being lazy sometimes...)!
But I finally got it finished and given to the happy couple this week!  Here is the journey:

This is the (ugly) dresser.  And Yes it came with that many knobs...just like that.
And so it begins...

First I primed it with this:


Then I spray painted it with Krylon Spray Paint (Indoor/Outdoor Gloss - Color: Ivory)

Then I glazed it (I learned how to glaze & spray paint things at this awesome blog)
When you buy the glaze you have to tell them that you want it tented - I got mine tented black.  Glazing gives an antiquey (yeah I made that word up) look.  
First you put it on with a paint brush or rag.  Then, right after putting it on (don't let it sit & dry), you wipe it off with a barely damp cloth.  Make sure you get it in all the nooks & cranny's.   

Then I filled in some of the drawer knob holes because there was a ridiculous amount of knob holes!!!  
While letting the wood filler dry, I spray painted my knobs.  I ended up buying 4 knobs from hobby lobby (at 1/2 off!) because there wasn't enough knobs that actually came with the dresser to fill all the holes, even AFTER filling in some of them!!  

Then I sanded the wood filler off and glazed the drawers.  I let everything dry well and then put the knobs on and VUALA!!



Pretty huh?!  Well, at least A LOT better than what it was!!

BEFORE:

AFTER:


Also I have to give props to my amazing mom who helped me A LOT with this project - she's kind of an expert ;-)

Here is the cost run down:
Dresser: $15 
(paid too much for it - shouldn't have budged at $10, oh well, next time!)
Spray Paint Cans (Including Primer): 5 @ $3.50 ea = $17.50
Knobs: 4 @ $1.50 ea = $6
Glaze: ~$10 (my mom bought this so I don't know how much it cost...)

TOTAL: $48.50 (for me $38.50)

Not too bad for a pretty good looking dresser!  But my goal is to go cheaper next time!  

This project was pretty fun and I can't wait to do more in the near future!!

1 comment:

  1. Good job Holly! Didn't know you had a blog until your Mom mentioned it on Facebook. Have a blessed Christmas...I'll have to check back later.

    ReplyDelete